What is in the Constitution?
- The rules setting out how this council operates.
- The rules of the Cabinet and other committees.
- The policy framework of the Council.
What is its purpose?
- To enable the Council to provide clear leadership to the community in partnership with citizens, businesses and other organisations.
- To support the active involvement of citizens in the process of local authority decision-making.
- To help councillors represent their constituents more effectively.
- To enable decisions to be taken efficiently and effectively.
- To create a powerful and effective means of holding decision-makers to public account.
- To ensure that no one will review or scrutinise a decision in which they were directly involved.
- To ensure that those responsible for decision-making are clearly identifiable to local people and that they explain the reasons for decisions and provide a means of improving the delivery of services to the community.
Section 6 has been deleted from the constitution.