What is in the Constitution?
- The rules setting out how this council operates.
- The rules of the Cabinet and other committees.
- The policy framework of the Council.
What is its purpose?
- To enable the Council to provide clear leadership to the community in partnership with citizens, businesses and other organisations.
- To support the active involvement of citizens in the process of local authority decision-making.
- To help councillors represent their constituents more effectively.
- To enable decisions to be taken efficiently and effectively.
- To create a powerful and effective means of holding decision-makers to public account.
- To ensure that no one will review or scrutinise a decision in which they were directly involved.
- To ensure that those responsible for decision-making are clearly identifiable to local people and that they explain the reasons for decisions and provide a means of improving the delivery of services to the community.
Sections 4, 7, 8 and 12 have been temporarily amended by decision of an extraordinary council meeting held on 21 April 2020 and will continue in force until the original sections, as existing immediately prior to 21 April, are restored.
At its meeting on 21 April 2021 Council agreed that the temporary changes would apply until 31 July 2021.
Section 6 has been deleted from the constitution.