Skip to content

Discounts and exemptions

You might be entitled to receive a reduction or an exemption on your Council Tax bill. Find out if you are eligible:



Other help

Report a change in circumstances

It is really important that you contact us as soon as possible if you're having difficulty paying your bill. You may be entitled to pay less Council Tax in certain circumstances. You can request to spread your annual bill over 12 instalments instead of 10. 

If you don't pay your Council Tax bill and your account is passed to enforcement agents an immediate fee of £75.00 will be added to the outstanding balance of your account. View our Debt Recovery policy

Still need more help or unsure of what you're entitled to? If you need more help or information please get in touch.

This authority is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers and to this end may use the information you have provided on our forms within the authority for the prevention and detection of fraud. It may also share this information with other bodies administering public funds solely for these purposes. For more information on how we protect your privacy and personal information please see our privacy and data protection section of the website.


The full Council Tax bill assumes that there are two adults living in a property. If there is only one adult living in the property as their main home, your bill could be reduced by 25%. Read more information on single person discount.

Disablement relief

In certain circumstances, we will reduce the amount of Council Tax you have to pay if any member of the household is severely and permanently disabled.

In order to qualify for this reduction, the property must have at least one of the following features:

  • a room other than a bathroom, kitchen or toilet which the disabled person uses and needs
  • an extra bathroom or kitchen needed for the disabled person
  • sufficient floor space indoors to allow for use of a wheelchair which is needed by the disabled person.

If you qualify for disability reduction then your bill may be reduced to the band below your current band. If your property is a Band A property you will be charged at a rate equivalent to five ninths of a Band D charge.

To apply for this reduction please call 01562 732928.

Discount Class C

If your property is unoccupied and unfurnished you may be able to get a 100% discount for 1 calendar month*. The full charge will then be payable.

Discount Class D

If your property is unoccupied and substantially unfurnished where major repair work is required to make it habitable, or structural alterations are being undertaken, you may be eligible to a 50% discount for a maximum period of 12 months*.


A 50% discount may apply where an annexe is occupied by a relative of a council tax payer for the main property or where it is used as part of the main property.

*Please note these periods are irrespective of a change of owner.

Single person discount

If you are the only adult that lives in your property (as their main home) and you are over the age of 18 years old, your Council Tax bill will be reduced by a 25%.

Apply for a single person discount.

Some people are not counted as a second resident for council tax bills, even if they do live with you. See below for a list of people who are disregarded as a second adult and those you can apply for.

  • an apprentice studying for a recognised qualification
  • a young person (under 25) in approved training
  • an 18 or 19-year-old in full-time education
  • a student nurse
  • people staying in hostels or night shelters
  • carers (providing at least 35 hours' care a week) if they are not the main resident’s husband, wife or civil partner
  •  members of religious communities (monks and nuns)
  • members of visiting forces
  • a full-time student (attending university or college, or under the age of 20 and studying A levels or their equivalent) resident hospital patients
  • people living in care homes
  • people who are severely mentally impaired (this can include people with dementia)
  • prisoners
  • individuals with diplomatic privileges and immunities

Apply for a single person discount.

If you currently claim a Single Person Discount but another adult has moved into your property you need to notify us by completing a change of circumstances form so we can amend your account.

Disregarded second adults

Certain adults can be disregarded when working out Council Tax. If you think you, or any of the adults (18+) living in the property, fit any of these criteria complete an application and submit it with the necessary proofs and we will contact you to let you know if you qualify for a discount on your Council Tax.

Please note: without supporting evidence we will not be able to process your application.


If your property falls into one of the categories below, you may be exempt from all or part of the council tax. There are several classes of exemption, some of which only apply for a certain length of time. To apply for property exemptions please contact us. If an exemption is granted, this will be shown on your bill.

Empty properties

Classification descriptions for council tax exemption on empty properties:

  • Class B - Unoccupied and owned by a charity. This exemption applies whether or not the property contains furniture and applies for a maximum of 6 months only. The full charge will then be payable.
  • Class D - Empty property due to person being in prison (except for non payment of Council Tax or a fine). The property may be either furnished or unfurnished.
  • Class E - Empty due to person having gone to live in a hospital or care home.
  • Class F - Council tax payer deceased (leaving property unoccupied). Exemption continues for up to six months after grant of probate or letters of administration. The full charge will then be payable.
  • Class G - Occupation prohibited by law. Exemption applies where the property remains unoccupied. Apply for exemption class G.
  • Class H - Unoccupied property being held for a minister of religion.
  • Class I - Person living elsewhere to receive personal care (leaving property empty).
  • Class J - Person living elsewhere to provide personal care (leaving property empty).
  • Class K - Property left empty by a student, where a student is the owner/tenant of the property and, when last occupied was the sole or main residence of the student and no one else other than students lived there. The exemption applies as long as the person remains a student.
  • Class L - Unoccupied property where a mortgage lender is in possession of property. Exemption continues until either possession is relinquished or the property is sold.
  • Class Q - Property left empty by a bankrupt person. The exemption applies whether the unoccupied dwelling is furnished or not.
  • Class R - Unoccupied caravan pitch or boat mooring.
  • Class T - Unoccupied separately banded property forming part of another property or situated within the curtilage of another property, which cannot be let separately without a breach of the Town & Country Planning Act. This will often apply to a granny annexe and applies whether the unoccupied dwelling is furnished or not.

Occupied properties

Classification descriptions for council tax exemption on occupied properties:

  • Class M - Students’ Halls of Residence. Exemption applies to occupied properties.
  • Class N - Property occupied only by students.
  • Class O - UK Armed Forces accommodation.
  • Class P - Visiting Forces accommodation.
  • Class S - Property occupied only by persons under 18 years of age.
  • Class U - Property occupied only by severely mentally impaired person(s). This exemption does not apply to residential homes.
  • Class V - Main residence of a person with diplomatic privilege or immunity.
  • Class W - Occupied annexe to an occupied property. Exemption applies if the annexe forms part of a single property including at least one other dwelling and is the sole or main residence of a dependent relative (i.e. someone over 65 years of age, or a person who is either severely mentally impaired or substantially and permanently disabled) of a person who is resident in that other dwelling.

Please note: the property may need to meet some conditions before it can be exempt from council tax.

If a discount or exemption is granted, this will be shown on your bill.

Second adult rebate

If you are pension aged and have a second adult living with you, you could be entitled to receive a reduction in your Council Tax bill. To receive the discount, the adult that lives with you cannot be your partner and must be on a low income or in receipt of certain benefits. Read more information and apply for second adult rebate.

Second homes

Second homes do not receive any discount.

Long term empty properties

Where a property is unoccupied and unfurnished for a continuous period of one year or more and a statutory exemption or discount does not apply a ‘Long Term Empty Premium’ will be levied. 

This premium applies to the property and a change of ownership or tenancy will not affect the premium.  The additional charge can only be removed by bringing the property back into use.

With effect from 1 April 2024 the following charges apply:

  • 1 month to 1 years 100% charge
  • 1 to 5 years 100% charge plus 100% levy (pay 200%)
  • 5 to 10 years 100% charge plus 200% levy (pay 300%)
  • 10 years and over 100% charge and 300% levy (pay 400%)

Council Tax Reduction Scheme

If you are struggling to pay your Council Tax help may be available in the form of our Council Tax Reduction Scheme.

Discretionary Reduction in Liability

Section 13A (1)(c) of the Local Government Finance Act 1992, provides the Council with additional discretionary powers to enable it to reduce a person’s council tax liability where statutory discounts, exemptions and reductions do not apply.

View the Council Tax Discretionary Reduction in Liability policy.

Make an application for Council Tax Discretionary Reduction in Liability

Care Leavers

If you are under 25 and a care leaver, there is a commitment across all councils in Worcestershire to provide help with your council tax if you are on a low income.  Please contact us for more details and visit Worcestershire County Council Care Leavers webpage for more information and guidance

Website feedback
Was this page useful? Required
Yes, I give permission to store and process my data
We will only contact you regarding this feedback.
Back to top