Skip to content

Council Tax change of circumstances

What you need to know

Liable person(s)

The Council Tax payer, or the "liable person", is responsible for seeing that the Council Tax bill is paid, and is the person who first fits one of the following descriptions, starting with number 1 and working through to number 6 in numerical order:

  1. Resident freeholder (owner)
  2. Resident leaseholder
  3. Resident statutory or secure tenant
  4. Resident with a licence to occupy
  5. Resident aged 18 years or over
  6. Owner - if the property is unoccupied

There can be more that one liable person for a property, for example a joint resident owner. In addition, married or common law partners of liable persons are also liable, even if they are not owners or tenants themselves.

This authority is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers and to this end may use the information you have provided on this form within the authority for the prevention and detection of fraud. It may also share this information with other bodies administering public funds solely for these purposes.

If someone has moved out, leaving you as the only adult in the property please complete the single person discount form.

For all other change of circumstances please complete our change of circumstances form.

Website feedback
Was this page useful? Required
Yes, I give permission to store and process my data
We will only contact you regarding this feedback.
Back to top