Skip to content

Disabled facilities grants (DFG)

Sometimes our circumstance change and the homes we love may become difficult to live in. We provide grants to help people have better freedom of movement into and around their homes and to access to essential facilities.
The Disabled Facilities Grants (DFG) help to pay for essential home adaptations.

These adaptations include:

  • Grab rails
  • Stair lifts
  • Level access showers
  • Ramps
  • Improved heating and lighting
To apply for a grant, you’ll need an assessment, this may be carried out by an occupational therapist or in some circumstances our qualified trusted assessor can visit you.

In more detail

If you are disabled and need adaptations to your home to allow you to move around more easily, to use essential facilities, or to stay in your own home, you may qualify for financial assistance from the council.

For homeowners, a financial charge will apply if the grant is over £5,000 (up to a maximum of £10,000 ). This charge is only recovered if the property is sold within 10 years.

Non-means tested grants of up to £10,000 are also available to provide essential adaptations to your home. The full cost of these works will be subject to a land charge which is only repayable on the sale or disposal of the property. If you rent your home, your Landlord must be agreeable to the land charge.

A grant could cover……

  • Widening doors, installing ramps or lowering thresholds to make it easier to get into and out of your home.
  • Installation of a stairlift, handrails etc to make access easier.
  • Provision of adapted bathrooms or kitchens.
  • Improvements to the heating system of your home.


To find out if you are eligible the first step is to complete the online enquiry form. The information you provide will enable us to determine whether an Occupational Therapist or Trusted Assessor; the Trusted Assessor can assess for non-complex works such as fitting of grab rails, stair lifts, ramps and level access showers, will visit you at home to make an assessment of your requirements.

If the Occupational Therapist or Trusted Assessor thinks a Disabled Facilities Grant is appropriate they will pass your details on to Millbrook Healthcare.

The council will determine if the works are necessary and appropriate and eligible under current legislation.

What does Millbrook Healthcare: Promoting Independent Living Service do?

Millbrook Healthcare will draw up technical specifications, find estimates and help you complete and submit your application for the grant. Once your grant is agreed by us, Millbrook Healthcare will also supervise the work on your behalf.


Who can apply?

  • Owner-occupiers.
  • Private tenants.
  • A landlord with a disabled tenant.
  • A Housing Association tenant.

Please note: 
Landlord’s permission must be granted before any work can start.

You must not start any works before we have approved your application.

Disabled Facilities Grants are subject to a test of resources unless the application relates to a child. The calculated figure is then used to determine whether you need to make a financial contribution towards the cost of the work.

If you claim certain benefits you may be eligible for a full grant.

Home owner and private tenant enquiries

Jayne Brennan, Disabled Facilities Grant Project Officer
01562 732527

Community Housing Group tenant enquiries

Angela Fox, Minor Equipment and Adaptations Officer
01562 733144

Occupational Therapy teams

Forest Team -  01562 514639

  • Aylmer Lodge Cookley Partnership
  • Northumberland House Surgery
  • Wolverley Surgery
  • Chaddesley Surgery
  • Stanmore House Surgery

River Team - 01562 514557

  • Stourport Health Centre
  • York House Medical Centre
  • Bewdley Medical Centre

Glades Team - 01562 714662

  • Church Street Practice
  • Kidderminster Medical Centre
  • Hagley Surgery

Make an enquiry

We can help with DFGs. Please complete the form below and we will get in touch.

Yes, I give permission to store and process my data
Do you own or rent your home?
Are you in receipt of a means tested benefit?

Or call Jayne Brennan on 01562 732527

Website feedback
Was this page useful? Required
Yes, I give permission to store and process my data
We will only contact you regarding this feedback.
Back to top