Skip to content

Filthy or verminous premises

Statutory nuisance

We investigate complaints regarding statutory nuisances and public health matters. These include;

  • Accumulations of rubbish in gardens and on private land
  • Filthy and verminous domestic premises
  • Vacant, derelict and insecure buildings

The action we take will depend on whether a statutory nuisance exists. An example is an accumulation of rubbish that is damaging to health. Food waste or discarded mattresses would come into this category as it could attract rats to an area.

Inert matter such as bricks for example would not constitute a statutory nuisance.

If a statutory nuisance does exist the Council has several routes of action which it can consider.

Filthy or Verminous Properties

What are filthy and verminous premises?

A property which is considered filthy and verminous is one which is harmful to health or a nuisance. This may be due to a rat or mice infestation or an accumulation of rotting food and rubbish which may also be giving rise to an odour.

Problems may also be caused by hygiene problems for example, the toilet may be blocked and overflowing causing odour and flies and a further risk to health.

How to report a problem.

Report concerns regarding a house which you believe could be filthy and/or verminous.

What can we do?

An officer will carry out an inspection of the premises. If it is found that the property is filthy and/or verminous, then discussions with the owner will take place and hopefully an agreement will be made to remove all rubbish and articles and thoroughly cleanse the property. If the owner fails to comply, we can serve a statutory notice requiring the owner of the property to cleanse the property and remove all rubbish and filthy articles.

We will work with other statutory agencies to help people in need, for example social services and health services.

Failure to comply with the requirements of the notice may result in either prosecution for non-compliance or the Local Authority carrying out the works in default (i.e. appointing a contractor) and recovering the costs back from the owner.

Website feedback
Was this page useful? Required
Yes, I give permission to store and process my data
We will only contact you regarding this feedback.
Back to top