Skip to content

Duty to refer

When certain public authorities become aware someone is homeless or threatened with homelessness they have a duty to refer cases to a local authority.

We use Housing Jigsaw to receive referrals from public authorities. We can also take referrals from other agencies who do not have a duty to refer.





Public authorities with a duty to refer include:-

  • Prisons
  • Young offender institutions
  • Secure training centres
  • Secure colleges
  • Youth offending teams
  • Probation services (including community rehabilitation companies)
  • Jobcentres in England
  • Social service authorities (both adult and children’s)
  • Emergency departments
  • Urgent treatment centres
  • Hospitals in their function of providing inpatient care
  • Secretary of State for defence in relation to members of the regular armed forces

Wider agencies include:-

  • Police
  • Refuge providers
  • Citizen’s Advice Bureau
  • Mental health services
  • GP’s
  • NASS accommodation providers
  • Children’s early help centres
  • Registered providers / social landlords
  • Private landlords
  • NASS accommodation providers
  • Street services for rough sleepers
  • Faith organisations
  • Street link
  • Schools, youth and education centres
  • Supported housing providers
  • LGBT support agency
Website feedback
Was this page useful? Required
Yes, I give permission to store and process my data
We will only contact you regarding this feedback.
Back to top