Skip to content

New working age claimants

Universal Credit

Universal Credit replaced Housing Benefit for all new claimants from 14 November 2018. Whether you can claim Universal Credit will depend on where you live and your personal circumstances.


Housing benefit claims can still be accepted for the following:

  • You are living in specified accommodation; or
  • You have been placed in temporary accommodation by the council; or
  • You and your partner are of state pension age

Find out more about making a claim in these circumstances.

Help with your Council Tax IS NOT included within Universal Credit.

You will still need to apply for help paying your Council Tax Bill otherwise you will still be responsible for paying your full Council Tax bill.

Website feedback
Was this page useful? Required
Yes, I give permission to store and process my data
We will only contact you regarding this feedback.
Back to top