Skip to content

Non-dependant deductions

A non-dependant is someone who normally lives with the Housing Benefit claimant such as an adult son, daughter, relative or friend. Boarders, sub-tenants and joint tenants are NOT non-dependants.

Does the money paid by non-dependants for their keep, count as income for the person claiming Housing Benefit?

No. This money is not treated as the claimant's income. Instead, a fixed deduction is made from the claimant's entitlement to Housing Benefit based on the non-dependant's GROSS weekly income.

Are there any exceptions?

Yes. A deduction does not apply for any non-dependant if the Housing Benefit claimant or partner is:

  • registered blind
  • in receipt of Personal Independence Payments (Daily Living Component)
  • in receipt of Disability Living Allowance (Care component)
  • in receipt of Attendance Allowance
  • in receipt of Armed Forces Independence Payments

or if the non-dependant:

  • is under 18
  • is under 25 and on Income Support / JSA (Income Based) (Housing Benefit)
  • is in receipt of Income Support / JSA (Council Tax Benefit)
  • is on a youth training scheme
  • is a full time student
  • normally lives elsewhere

This information is for guidance only. It does not cover all the rules for all the benefits for every situation, nor does it provide a full interpretation of the rules. It should not be treated as a complete and authoritative statement of the law.

Website feedback
Was this page useful? Required
Yes, I give permission to store and process my data
We will only contact you regarding this feedback.
Back to top