Skip to content

New claims for Housing Benefit

In this section...

Only people of pension age or working age meeting certain criteria on a low income can make a new claim for Housing Benefit. Most working age people will need to claim Universal Credit to get help with housing costs.

The amount of benefit you receive depends upon your income, savings and circumstances.

You can use an independent benefit calculator to check your entitlement.

How to claim

Please check documents you will need as proof - view document checklist.

You cannot get Housing Benefit if:

  • you, or you and your partner between you, have more than £16,000 in savings (unless you are in receipt of pension credit guarantee). A partner is someone you are married to, or someone you live with as if you are married to them
  • you pay rent to a close relative who lives in the same home as you
  • you own the place where you live
Website feedback
Was this page useful? Required
Yes, I give permission to store and process my data
We will only contact you regarding this feedback.
Back to top