New claims for Housing Benefit
Only people of pension age or working age meeting certain criteria on a low income can make a new claim for Housing Benefit. Most working age people will need to claim Universal Credit to get help with housing costs.
The amount of benefit you receive depends upon your income, savings and circumstances.
How to claim
- Make an online application for Housing Benefit - please read the information below before making a claim.
- If you cannot complete your application online, please contact us for assistance.
Please check documents you will need as proof - view document checklist.
You cannot get Housing Benefit if:
- you, or you and your partner between you, have more than £16,000 in savings (unless you are in receipt of pension credit guarantee). A partner is someone you are married to, or someone you live with as if you are married to them
- you pay rent to a close relative who lives in the same home as you
- you own the place where you live