Skip to content

How benefit is paid

We pay you by BACS (bank transfer) every four weeks.

We have to pay your Housing Benefit straight to your landlord if you owe 8 or more weeks rent.

What if I'm paid too much?

If we give you too much Housing Benefit, we call it an 'overpayment'.

If we give you too much benefit we will send you a letter. The letter we send you will tell you:

  • why we gave you too much
  • how much the overpayment is
  • how to pay this overpayment back
  • how you can appeal if you think this is wrong

View our Housing Benefit Overpayment Policy.

Keeping up to date

From time to time we may send you a review form. If you want to carry on claiming, fill in the form and return it to us as soon as you can.

If you do not send us the form, your benefit will stop.

This information is for guidance only. It does not cover all the rules for all the benefits for every situation, nor does it provide a full interpretation of the rules. It should not be treated as a complete and authoritative statement of the law.

Website feedback
Was this page useful? Required
Yes, I give permission to store and process my data
We will only contact you regarding this feedback.
Back to top