Skip to content

New licence applications

A premises licence allows a premises to be used for one or more "licensable activities".

The Licensing Act 2003 says that the following are licensable activities:

  • The sale by retail of alcohol
  • The provision of regulated entertainment
  • The provision of late night refreshment

More information on premises licences can be viewed on the GOV.UK website.

Applying for a premises licence

Detailed guidance notes on how to apply for a premises licence have been written by the Home Office and can be downloaded here:

Home Office Guidance - Application for a premises licence 

From 6th April 2017 individuals applying for the grant of a premises licences have to submit documentation with their application to demonstrate they have permission to be in the UK and are entitled to undertake work relating to the carrying on of a licensable activity. Applicants may provide clear photocopies or scanned copies of documents, which can either be in black and white or colour, and do not need to be endorsed as a copy of the original. Applicants should not submit original documents.

A list of acceptable documentation can be found under Licensing and the Right to Work

To help make your application process run more smoothly,  Worcestershire Regulatory Services now offers a pre-application assistance service.

Apply online

  1. Pay the appropriate fee via our online payment page.
    To do this, select ‘Licensing’ and ‘Application for a new premises licence’ from the ‘Pay For’ drop-down menus. Complete the fields marked with an asterisk (*) and add the appropriate fee for your application. The fee to pay is based on the non-domestic rateable value (NDRV) of the premises and can be found on our fees and charges page. Look up the NDRV of the premises. Application fees for premises that do not have an NDRV are Band A.

    Click on ‘Add’ to add the payment to your basket. Complete the required contact details and then click on ‘Pay Now’ to complete card details and finalise payment. You will be sent a receipt by email.

  2. Fill out the application form, making sure that you have completed all the required sections, and sign and date it. Download a an application for a new premises licence to be granted – printable (Word 127KB) 

  3. If you want permission to use the premises for the sale of alcohol, you will need to name the person who will act as the designated premises supervisor (DPS). This person must agree to being nominated as the DPS by completing this form DPS Consent Form (PDF 66KB)

  4. If you are applying as an individual you will need to provide evidence of your right to work in the UK.

  5. You must include a scale plan of the premises with your application. The plan is part of the licence and should show the extent of the building or area to be licensed, its entrances and exits, the internal walls, fixed structures, stairs, fire safety equipment, etc. The full requirements for the plan can be found here

  6. Send the completed application form, consent form, proof of right to work (if needed), plan, and receipt to

Consent to be designated - online consent form

For more information about Designated Premises Supervisors go to our Designated Premises Supervisor page, or you can go to the GOV.UK Alcohol Licensing page.

Apply by post

If you are applying by post you will need to send your application to us at:

Licensing, Wyre Forest District Council, Finepoint Way, Kidderminster, Worcestershire, DY11 7WF

Copies of your application will also need to be sent to all of the responsible authorities, whose contact details can be found here:

Responsible Authorities List

If you want permission to use the premises for the sale of alcohol, you will need to name in the application a person who will act as designated premises supervisor (DPS). This person must agree to being nominated as the DPS by completing this form:

Consent to be designated - printable DPS Consent Form

Advertising your application

The fact that an application has been made must be made public during the consultation period of 28 days beginning the day after a complete application has been properly made to the licensing authority.

There may be unforeseen problems with your application that prevent it being approved for consultation, so we would always advise you to wait to have the consultation end date confirmed by us before you advertise your application.

If you do not advertise your application as required by the Licensing Act then consultation will have to be restarted, causing delays in the issue of your licence.

Advertising at the premises

You must display a public notice at the premises for the whole of the consultation period. The notice must be visible from outside the premises and must be printed on light blue paper.

Public Notice Template

Advertising in the local press

You must take out an advertisement in a local newspaper that is available in the area where the premises is situated. The advertisement must appear in the press in the first 10 working days of the consultation period, and include the same information as the public notice.


A table of the fees that must be paid for applications made under the Licensing Act 2003 can found on our licensing fees and charges page.

You can find out the non-domestic rateable value of the relevant premises by visiting the Valuation Office Agency website.

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. After the 28 day consultation period has expired, if no representations have been received from responsible authorities or other persons, then the licence is granted as applied for. We will issue the licence shortly after.

If there is a representation from a responsible authority other person then this will cause the application to be considered by the Licensing Sub-Committee. A hearing will be arranged within 56 days from the date the application is made.

Website feedback
Was this page useful? Required
Yes, I give permission to store and process my data
We will only contact you regarding this feedback.
Back to top