Skip to content

Skin piercing and tattooing

You have to register with the council if you want to carry on any of the following activities:

  • acupuncture
  • tattooing
  • semi-permanent skin-colouring
  • cosmetic piercing and
  • electrolysis

This is because regulations exist to ensure that those carrying on the activities, and the premises they take place in, meet the relevant health and safety standards and lessen the risk of infection.

Individuals and premises are registered separately. You must register as an individual (a ‘practitioner’) and register any premises where the activities will take place.

Once registered as a practitioner, you may operate from any registered premises within the District carrying on the activities on your registration.

Registered businesses must comply with byelaws that ensure the cleanliness and safety of registered premises, including the cleanliness of fittings and registered persons.

Please note:

  • It is not possible to transfer registration to a different Local Authority. If you intend to practice within the jurisdiction of another Local Authority, you must register with that authority too.

  • It is not possible to transfer a premises registration from one premises to another, even within the same local authority. If your business moves to another location, you will need to register the new location.

For further advice please contact

How to register

Register online

  1. Pay the appropriate fee via our online payment page.
  2. Select ‘Licensing’ and either ‘Acupuncture etc. practitioner registration’ or ‘Acupuncture etc. premises registration’ from the ‘Pay For’ drop-down menus.
  3. Complete the fields marked with an asterisk (*).
  4. Click on ‘Add’ to add the payment to your basket.
    Note: if you are registering a premises and as a practitioner, you will need to add a second payment. Go back to 2. above and select the second payment type to add to your basket.
  5. Complete and sign the registration form. If you are registering as a practitioner, make sure to include details of any relevant qualifications and previous experience.
    Download registration application form (fillable Word version)
    Download registration application form (Word version for completing by hand)
  6. Send the completed application form, documentary evidence of qualifications/experience (if relevant), and receipt for the fee to

Register by post

Send the completed application form, documentary evidence of qualifications/experience (if relevant), and either a receipt for the fee or cheque (made payable to Wyre Forest District Council) to:

Licensing, Wyre Forest District Council, Finepoint Way, Kidderminster, Worcestershire, DY11 7WF

The current fees can be found on our licensing fees and charges page.

Website feedback
Was this page useful? Required
Yes, I give permission to store and process my data
We will only contact you regarding this feedback.
Back to top