Skip to content

Self build and custom build register

What is self build? What is custom build?

Until recently building your own home was known as 'self build'. In 2011, the term 'custom build housing' was introduced in the Government's Housing Strategy for England.

Everyone who chooses to custom build their home will have different reasons.

There are also different ways to custom build which are listed below. When deciding which is most suitable for you, you need to consider:

  • type of custom build home you want
  • level of involvement you have (self-building or working with a builder / developer)
  • how much you want to spend

Read our guide to custom and self build housing in Wyre Forest.

Custom build options

The customer buys a plot and builds their own home to their own specification.

The customer buys a serviced plot from an enabler who owns a number of plots on a site, works with the enabler to create a home to their specification which is then built to be wind and watertight.

The customer takes over the remaining elements themselves or employs subcontractors.

The customer buys a serviced plot from an enabler who owns a number of plots on a site. They work with the enabler to design their home to their specification and individual lifestyle.

The house is completed by the enabling developer to a fixed budget and timescale.

Where a group of individuals join forces to purchase a large site which is split into individual plots. They are involved in the planning, design and building of their own home.

By working as part of a group costs are minimised both in terms of labour and materials.

As in Independent Community Custom build a group of individuals come together to share their skills, boost their knowledge of building and create a number of houses collectively.

Cohousing communities are intentional communities created and run by their residents.

Each household has a self-contained, personal and private home, but residents come together to manage their community, share activities, eat together.

Those on a low income can participate in the planning, design and building of their own homes through custom build. They can learn a range of new skills and save money through sweat equity.

The Self-build and Custom Housebuilding  (Register) Regulations 2016

These regulations place a duty on local councils in England to keep and have regard to a register of people who are interested in self build or custom build projects in their area. This register will help inform the council of the level of demand for self build and custom build plots in Wyre Forest district and enable the council to develop a strategy for matching people to plots in their area.

Priority will be given to applicants who have a local connection1 to the area.

Self Build and Custom Build Register

If you would like to register your interest for a custom or self build plot, please complete the online registration form. Please note there is a £44.00 charge to register.


Please note by completing the registration form you are agreeing that

  • You are over 18
  • You a British citizen, a national of an EEA State other than the United Kingdom or a national of Switzerland


  • Seeking (either alone or with others) to acquire a serviced plot of land in the Wyre Forest district to build a house to occupy as that individual’s sole or main residence.

Please note an association is eligible for entry in the register if each member of the association meets all of the eligibility requirements for an individual set out above.

By signing up, you will help us find out more about the demand for custom and self build plots in Wyre Forest district where people would like their plot to be and the type of house that they would like to build.

We shall use the information to explore ways in which it might be possible for people and plots to be brought together. Registration does not however guarantee that a suitable plot will be identified, or become available.

We will not pass identifiable information from the register onto anyone outside the Council without the written consent of the person who registered their details

Further Information and Advice

If you would like to know more or have any queries about the register please contact us.


Note 1. Local connection

  • Where the local connection arises due to residency, the applicant(s) must have lived in the area (by choice) for a minimum period of two years,
  • Where the local connection arises due to employment, the applicant(s) have been in permanent, paid employment for a minimum period of six months, within the area, immediately prior to the application,
  • Where the applicant(s) has a close (immediate) family member living in the area and has done so for a minimum period of five years, immediately prior to the application.
  • A local connection test will not be applied to any person in the service of the regular armed forces of the Crown whilst they are in service or for a period of five years after leaving service which is equal to the length of the longest of any periods required by the test for a condition to be satisfied for an applicant. In this regulation, “regular armed forces of the Crown” means the regular forces within the meaning of section 374 of the Armed Forces Act 2006(a).
Website feedback
Was this page useful? Required
Yes, I give permission to store and process my data
We will only contact you regarding this feedback.
Back to top