Skip to content

Get planning advice

Do I need planning permission?

It depends on what you want to do. Some work is allowed without planning permission, this is called permitted development.

The Planning Portal has interactive guides for householders and businesses to help you identify whether your work would be permitted development. The Common projects page - on the Planning Portal can also help.

Planning pre-application advice

Get advice on your project before submitting full planning application. 

Listed buildings and conservation areas pre-application advice

We also offer pre application advice on listed buildings or conservations areas. 

Trees pre-application advice

Get advice on tree projects before submitting a full application.

Biodiversity net gain pre-application advice 

Pre-application advice on biodiversity net gain. 

Building regulations

Planning permission and building regulations are two separate things - even if your project doesn't need planning permission you may still need building regulations. For information on building regulations contact North Worcestershire Building Control.

Exclusions to pre-application advice and common queries

Works to trees with tree preservation orders or within a conservation area will need consent. Our tree advisory service may be of use to you before submitting a planning application. 

We cannot provide pre-application advice on any Highway Matters, for information see Highways pre-application advice | Worcestershire County Council

If your road is designated as a classified road (A, B, or C classification) then you will need planning permission to have a dropped kerb. If you're unsure as to whether your road is classified, you can check online Searches and Adopted Roads: Classified and Unclassified Roads

More information on Vehicular Dropped Kerb | Worcestershire County Council

We are unable to answer any queries on boundary issues, we would advise you contact Land Registry. 

We cannot give advice on drainage issues, there is some information on drainage questions on our land drainage and flooding. 

You may need planning permission to change your front garden to hardstanding depending on the size of the area to be created - please see Planning permission - Paving your front garden - Planning Portal for more information. 

We can give you a formal decision on any restrictions on running a business or working from home if you submit a pre application enquiry. We cannot give generic advice as each case is looked at on an individual basis. 

Website feedback
Was this page useful? Required
Yes, I give permission to store and process my data
We will only contact you regarding this feedback.
Back to top