Skip to content

Doing work within a conservation area

Special controls apply to buildings in Conservation Areas. It is an offence to demolish, alter or extend a building in Conservation Areas without the appropriate consent. If the building is not listed then planning permission may be required and certain permitted development rights may have been removed.

It is recommended that you contact us if you want clarification as to whether consent is required or if you wish to discuss your proposal before submission.

Information on submitting a planning application.

Trees in Conservation Areas

Trees in Conservation Areas are treated in the same way as if they were protected by a Tree Preservation Order so it is necessary to obtain approval for works to trees in Conservation Areas before they are carried out.

There are certain exceptions (where a tree is dead or in a dangerous condition) but it is advisable to seek the opinion of the tree service to see if your works are acceptable. Notifying us also will save time if a neighbour contacts us to tell us about what you are doing.

Website feedback
Was this page useful? Required
Yes, I give permission to store and process my data
We will only contact you regarding this feedback.
Back to top