Broome Conservation Area
Broome Conservation Area was designated in March 1991 and is centred on the rural hamlet of Broome.
An agricultural settlement has existed in Broome for many centuries and probably began to take its present form following the Broome Enclosure Act of 1779.
The present Church was built circa 1780 but a church existed on its site before that. Broome probably had a school as early as 1847 but the existing school building (now the Parish Room) was built in 1889, and the School House in 1890. The oldest surviving buildings are the Old Well House, the Dower House and the Tythe Barn (next to the Old Rectory), all 17th Century timber framed buildings. Several fine 18th Century and early 19th Century buildings of red brick and sandstone exist, intermingled with houses and cottages of considerable character.
The buildings are in a good state of repair and most retain much of their original character. Protecting the character of many of these buildings is desirable, although it is equally desirable to preserve the harmonious interaction of these buildings with one another and with the many open spaces.
An important feature of the Conservation Area is the historic pattern of development. The settlement centres on a large triangular green, now the grounds of Church House. On each corner of the Conservation Area is a significant attractive historic building set in extensive and attractive grounds.
At the north east entrance to Broome stands Broome Farm; an attractive Georgian style farmhouse with well wooded and landscaped grounds. The Old Rectory, with its landscaped garden and adjoining tythe barn, occupy an important position on the western approach to the hamlet, with a substantial and attractive sandstone wall forming the boundary to the garden along the northern side of Broome Lane. At the southern edge of the hamlet lies Broome House and its adjoining former coach-house, both fine 18th century buildings. These are set in a landscaped park, which includes a lake.
The many trees and hedges contribute to the character of Broome. Walls, verges and kerbstones have been maintained as traditional features. There is an absence of street lighting in the area, which helps it retain a rural and uncluttered feel.