You will need a licence from us if you want to be able to drive hackney carriage or private hire vehicles.
We have adopted conditions and procedures for the licensing of hackney carriage and private hire drivers. It is very important that you read these before making an application for a driver's licence. The conditions and procedures can be downloaded here:
We have to be satisfied that an applicant for a licence to drive either hackney carriage or private hire vehicles is a fit and proper person to hold such a licence. In order to help assess the fitness of an applicant we have adopted a policy on the relevance of convictions held by applicants for licences.
Applying for a licence
You should submit your application form along with all the required documents. These are:
- The application form: Hackney Carriage/Private Hire Vehicle driver licence application form
You should make sure you fill in the form COMPLETELY and as fully as you can. If you leave out information your application may be delayed or refused.
- A medical report form. You will need to have an examination done by a registered medical practitioner to show that you are fit to drive Hackney Carriages and Private Hire Vehicles, and they will have to fill in the report form to declare you fit to drive.
Medical Report on an Applicant fo a Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Vehicle Driver's Licence
- Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Enhanced Check application form (available from Wyre Forest House), the DBS application fee and documents proving your identity and address (guidance on what documents you should provide ), OR
An Enhanced Disclosure Certificate issued by the DBS within ONE month of you making your application (the certificate must be produced for the "Other" workforce role)
- At least one recent passport-style photo. On the issue of your licence you will be issued with a licence badge that you will be required to wear at all times you are working as a driver.
- Proof of your right to work in the UK. This can be done by showing us copies of certain documents - a passport if you have one, or your birth certificate when produced along with a payslip or other official document showing your National Insurance Number. More information on other documents that are acceptable is here: Immigration Act - Right to Work Checks.
- DVLA Licence check code. We check your DVLA driving licence for endorsements online at the DirectGov website. To do this, we need you to produce a code which gives us permission to look at your DVLA licence details. You can get the code here: www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence and add it to your application form in the appropriate place.
- The licence fee. Current fees charged in relation to applying for a licence can be found on our licensing fees and charges page.
Once your complete application is received you will be invited to take the Taxi Driver Essential Skills and Knowledge Test. You will need to pass this test before your licence is issued. The test requires you to have a good knowledge of the Wyre Forest District, including more prominent street names and shortest and most appropriate routes through and across the area. You will also need to be aware of the driver conditions (link above) and both vehicle conditions and operator conditions.
You can attend a licensing surgery to make your application and speak to an officer about the process if you have any questions.