Non Dependant Deductions

A non-dependant is someone who normally lives with the Housing Benefit claimant such as an adult son, daughter, relative or friend.  Boarders, sub-tenants and joint tenants are NOT non-dependants.

Does the money paid by non-dependants for their keep, count as income for the person claiming Housing Benefit?

No. This money is not treated as the claimant's income.  Instead, a fixed deduction is made from the claimant's entitlement to Housing Benefit based on the non-dependant's GROSS weekly income.

Are there any exceptions?

Yes. A deduction does not apply for any non-dependant if the Housing Benefit claimant or partner is:

    * registered blind
    * in receipt of Severe Disablement Allowance
    * in receipt of Disability Living Allowance (Care component)
    * in receipt of Attendance Allowance

or if the non-dependant:

    * is under 18
    * is under 25 and on Income Support / JSA (Income Based) (Housing Benefit)
    * is in receipt of Income Support / JSA (Council Tax Benefit)
    * is on a youth training scheme
    * is a full time student
    * normally lives elsewhere

This information is for guidance only. It does not cover all the rules for all the benefits for every situation, nor does it provide a full interpretation of the rules. It should not be treated as a complete and authoritative statement of the law.