Skip to content

Housing advice for members of the armed forces

If you are a current or ex-member of the armed forces and are homeless or worried you might be made homeless we can help.

Members still in service or transitioning

Contact the MOD Joint Service Housing Advice Office (JSHAO) on 07814 612120 for advice on civilian housing options

Information on housing is also available via half day presentations across the UK and overseas. 

Financial help available for those leaving the armed forces

When you leave the armed forces, you may be entitled to a termination payment. Your entitlement to these depends on why you are leaving the armed forces and which Armed Forces Pension Scheme (AFPS 15, AFPS 75 or AFPS 05) you have an entitlement under. If you have been in the armed forces for several years you will have built up entitlements to both a pension which is payable when you reach retirement age and payments when you leave before retirement age. 

View service leaver's guide on GOV.UK

Members who have left service

Contact the Housing Advice Team for advice on housing.

You may be able to get help with rehousing from us if you are a former member of the armed forces and are homeless or potentially homeless and are deemed vulnerable or have a priority need due to some other reason for example, dependent children.

To help support your case you will need to show supporting evidence, for example, your discharge letter or some other evidence that confirms your discharge from the armed forces.

The earlier you contact us, the greater the chance of helping you to get accommodation.

Are you homeless now?

If you don't have anywhere to stay contact us. We may be able to help you find somewhere to stay for a short while and will look at your needs for the longer term. 

For single people/childless couples, a referral may be made to the Caring for Communities and People (CCP) Hopes Service.

If you are actually rough sleeping please also see the advice for rough sleepers.

Do you need to move soon?

If you have somewhere to live now but need to move soon our team will be able to look at your options, these include:

  • Buying a house
  • Private renting
  • Social or supported housing 

Private rented housing

It is sensible to look for private rented housing as this can often resolve a housing need more quickly than social housing. The demand for social housing is very high in Worcestershire. 
Many landlords require a deposit and rent in advance; amounts can differ from landlord to landlord. Search for properties by contacting local letting agents, looking in local papers and online.

We can help with rent bonds/deposits.

Social rented housing

Forces personal and veterans who are in the services or have left the services within 5 years will not need a local connection to apply for social housing through Home Choice Plus.

This will also apply to the bereaved spouses or civil partners of those serving in the regular forces where their spouse or partner’s death is attributable (wholly or partly) to their service and the bereaved spouse or civil partner’s is no longer entitled MOD accommodation.

It also applies to seriously injured, ill or disabled reservists (or former reservists) whose injury, illness or disability is attributable wholly or partly to their service.   

Supported housing

If you believe you may need housing with support please contact us. There are schemes available in the County which may be able to help you including:

  • Compton Valley House, Kidderminster
  • St Basils (for young people)
  • Heenans Court, Worcester
  • St Pauls, Worcester
  • YMCA, Worcester
  • CHG Shared Houses

Housing advice team

01562 732928

Out of hours 01562 732225


Related content

Register on Home Choice Plus

Housing benefit

Welfare Support Scheme

Rent deposit scheme

Armed Forces Community Covenant


Website feedback
Was this page useful? Required
Yes, I give permission to store and process my data
We will only contact you regarding this feedback.
Back to top