Skip to content

Housing advice for prison leavers

If you are a prison leaver and are homeless or worried you might be made homeless we can help. 

Speak to the resettlement officer at the prison if you are still there. 

If you are not already getting help from the resettlement officer contact our Housing Advice Team. You may be able to get help with rehousing from us if you are seen as vulnerable or have a priority need due to another reason for example, dependent children.

We will work with you and other organisations to check your housing and support needs and work out the best options for you. 

Our team will ask you for proof of your prison release and any medical or support needs you have. You will need your discharge papers from the prison. Letters from doctors or benefits you get will be useful. 

Get in touch with us as soon as possible as it will be easier for us to help you. 

Are you homeless now?

If you don't have anywhere to stay contact us. We may be able to help you find somewhere to stay for a short while and will look at your needs for the longer term. 

Do you need to move soon?

If you have somewhere to live on release but need to move soon our team will be able to look at your options, these include:

  • Buying a house
  • Private renting
  • Social or supported housing 

Bail or Home Detention Curfew help

If you are a low risk adult prisoner and eligible for release on bail or home detention curfew but don't have suitable accommodation to go to, you many be able to get help with supported accommodation through the bail accommodation and support scheme.

Find out more about the bail accommodation and support scheme through Nacro Tel 0300 123 1999

Worried about money?

All prison leavers are given a discharge grant from the prison when they leave, this is to help with costs until your benefits are sorted out. 

If you have found somewhere to stay for your first night on release you can also apply for an extra grant of about £50.00 which will be paid directly to the accommodation provider, arrange an appointment with an advisor in your prison to help you.

You may be able to get some help with your living costs. This help may include:

  • Universal Credit 
  • Personal Independence Allowance 
  • Rent Bonds (to help with private rent deposits)

Our team at the Hub, the Citizen's Advice Bureau or Job Centre Plus can help you with this. 


Our team will work closely with you and will review your needs and the advice services available to you regularly.


Housing advice team

01562 732928

Out of hours 01562 732225


Related content

Register on Home Choice Plus

Housing benefit

Welfare Support Scheme

Rent deposit scheme


Website feedback
Was this page useful? Required
Yes, I give permission to store and process my data
We will only contact you regarding this feedback.
Back to top