Skip to content

Housing advice for people experiencing domestic abuse

If you are experiencing domestic abuse and are homeless or worried you might be made homeless we can help.

We can also help you move if you need help or may be able to make your home more secure if you want to stay where you are. 

We will work with you and other organisations to check your housing and support needs and work out the best options for you. 

Get in touch with us as soon as possible as it will be easier for us to help you. 

You can also contact a domestic abuse helpline. These services can offer you a wide range of advice including advocacy, support, emergency accommodation, safety measures in the home and more. 

West Mercia Womens Aid (Worcestershire) - 0800 9803331

Men's Advice Line (National) - 0808 8010327.

What is domestic abuse?

Domestic abuse includes any incident of threatening behaviour, violence or abuse. The abuse can be psychological, physical, social, financial or emotional. Domestic Abuse can happen between two people who are or were intimate partners, family members, regardless of their gender or sexuality. If you are in fear of a partner, ex-partner or family member, you might be experiencing domestic abuse.


Do you need to leave your home now?

In an emergency or if your safety (or your children's safety) is at risk call the police on 999. 

If you need to leave your home immediately try to go to a safe secure place such as family or friends while you decide what to do next.

If you don't have anywhere to stay contact us. We may be able to help you find somewhere to stay for a short while and will look at your needs for the longer term. 

You will be asked for various information to help us properly assess your needs. If you have any supporting evidence this can help too. If you do leave your home try to bring some essentials with you such as a change of clothes, toiletries, medication, proof of ID, bank or credit card and mobile phone, we understand this may not always be possible, always put your safety first. 

Do you need to move soon?

If you are living somewhere now but need to move soon our team will be able to look at your options, these include:

  • Buying a house
  • Private renting
  • Social or supported housing 

Do you need help to stay where you are?

We can work with you to help you stay living where you are. You may be eligible for a 'sanctuary scheme' which means doing some work to your home to make it more secure. This includes a visit from a specialist police officer. If this is something you would like to look into please contact our housing project officer. 

You may also be able to get support from other organisations and legal advice.  

Are you worried about money?

You may be able to get some help with your living costs. This help may include:

  • Universal Credit 
  • Personal Independence Allowance 
  • Rent Bonds (to help with private rent deposits)

Our team at the Hub or Job Centre Plus can help you with this. 


Our team will work closely with you and will review your needs and the advice services available to you regularly.

Help for children and young people

If you or someone in your family is being hurt in the home please start by telling someone about it. You can tell a teacher, a neighbour, a friend or friend’s parent.

You can call Childline on 0800 1111 for free and they can tell you about places where you can get help.

Housing advice team

01562 732928

Out of hours 01562 732225


Related content

Register on Home Choice Plus

Housing benefit

Welfare Support Scheme

Rent deposit scheme


Website feedback
Was this page useful? Required
Yes, I give permission to store and process my data
We will only contact you regarding this feedback.
Back to top