Chief Executive job description and person specification
This is a description of the job as it is constituted at the date shown (14/08/2009). It is the practice of the Council to periodically examine job descriptions, through the Employee Development Review Scheme, and, update them or incorporate any changes to ensure that they reflect the job performed. The procedure will be conducted in consultation with the post holder.
The aim will be to reach agreement on reasonable changes, but if agreement is not possible the Council reserves the right to make changes to your job description.
Any of the Council's offices in the District as required.
Purpose of job
As the Chief Executive and Head of Paid Service:
- To be responsible for leading, managing and directing the Corporate Management Team and all employees of the Council in the implementation of Council Policy and the management of Council functions
- To work closely with the Cabinet in fulfilling the Council’s Executive function and with both the Leader and all Members of the Council in preparing, developing, delivering and reviewing policy and strategic direction
- To ensure co-ordinated, cost effective and high quality provision of services that are responsive to local needs and circumstances
- To ensure that the Council influences key partners and stakeholders to fulfil its leadership role.
Reporting relationships to other posts
Leader and Cabinet
Main duties and responsibilities
- To ensure, in consultation with the relevant statutory officers, that legal, financial, procedural and other provisions governing the affairs of the Council are properly observed and that the best interests of the Council as a whole are protected at all times
- To give due weight and consideration to the policy direction and advice to the Leader, providing guidance as necessary in order to ensure the effective corporate governance, management of Council functions and implementation of Cabinet and Council decisions
- To provide advice, assistance and support to the Leader of the Council in fulfilling his/her responsibilities, including representing and promoting the Council, and the District as a whole, on external bodies, within partnership arrangements and through public and media relations
- To work closely with Group Leaders in relation to policy development, budget formulation and strategy and all other relevant administrative matters
- To provide support, advice and guidance to all Members of the Council on matters of community leadership and governance.
- To provide a strategic focus to the organisation, planning for and anticipating change, identifying resource implications and advising the Leader and the Council accordingly
- To lead, manage and direct the Corporate Management Team in providing support to the Cabinet and Council in the formulation, development and review of Council policy and strategy
- To provide and promote the highest standards of leadership, management and employee relations throughout the organisation and develop positive and mutually respectful relationships between officers and elected members
- To exercise authority over Corporate Directors and other employees as required in order to ensure the achievement of the Council’s objectives, including the development and operation of an effective framework of delegated decision making
- To ensure the timely identification of corporate and other ‘cross service’ issues affecting the Council’s activities and/or objectives and the development of appropriate responses
- To have overall responsibility for the effective and efficient management of Council functions and the implementation of Cabinet and Council decisions, ensuring high levels of performance across the Council within the context of the priorities of the Council and the relevant external inspection and assessment regimes
- To ensure that the principles of equality of opportunity are fully integrated and actively pursued within all areas of the Council’s service provision and employment policies, practices and procedures
- To ensure that adequate resources and transparent and rigorous mechanisms are in operation in order to fulfil statutory functions and an effective overview and scrutiny processes with regard to both decision making processes and policy development
- To be responsible for the appointment, development, performance appraisal and disciplinary action (up to and including dismissal) of Corporate Directors, and all other officers within a delegated framework
- To take responsibility for Emergency Planning arrangements
- To ensure effective communication, internally and externally, in order to promote high levels of awareness and understanding of the aims, objectives, priorities and values of the Council and its achievements in delivering services to and developing its communities.
Health and safety statement
As an employee you must comply with the requirements of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and affiliated regulations. You are also required to comply with the Council’s Health and Safety Policies and take reasonable care for the health and safety of yourself and of other.
Special conditions of the post
- This post is politically restricted.
- There will be a requirement for regular evening and weekend working.
- On call out register in Emergency Plan.
- Attendance at conferences and courses including weekends as necessary.
|Essential criteria - educational standards||Assessed by application form||Assessed by interview panel||Assessed by other means|
|Successful track record of achievement in delivering change and improvement in a multifunction organisation||✔||✔||✔|
|Educated to degree level or equivalent||✔||❌||❌|
|Evidence of continuing personal and professional development||✔||❌||❌|
|Essential criteria - experience||Assessed by application form||Assessed by interview panel||Assessed by other means|
|Extensive leadership and senior management experience and achievements in a complex organisation such as a Local Authority||✔||✔||✔|
Substantial achievements in leading in the following areas;
|Essential criteria - skills, abilities and knowledge||Assessed by application form||Assessed by interview panel||Assessed by other means|
|Ability to think strategically and deliver corporately||✔||✔||✔|
|Change orientated with a through understanding of the challenges facing Local Government and the vision to respond creatively||✔||✔||✔|
|Creative and innovative approach to problem solving||✔||✔||✔|
|Evidence of significant ability in performance improvement and management||✔||✔||✔|
|Understanding and experience of successful management of risk||✔||✔||✔|
|Ability to lead, motivate and inspire a diverse range of senior/professional employees||✔||✔||✔|
|Excellent communicator at all levels with a good understanding of public and customer relations||✔||✔||✔|
|Highly developed persuasion and influencing skills||✔||✔||✔|
|Understanding and experience of political processes and ability to positively manage a political environment||✔||✔||✔|
|Effective delegator and team leader||✔||✔||✔|
|Essential criteria - personal qualities||Assessed by application form||Assessed by interview panel||Assessed by other means|
|Appetite to personally manage high volumes of work, effectively prioritise and deliver on target||✔||✔||✔|
|Ability to success adapt to changing circumstances with the capacity to respond positively to uncertainty||✔||✔||✔|
|Committed and able to actively promote the Council and to influence in all circles on its behalf||✔||✔||✔|
|Solution focussed – particularly in relation to complex partnership working||✔||✔||✔|
|Decision maker and able to challenge and make ‘tough’ decisions when required||✔||✔||✔|
|Proactive style – able to foresee consequences of action and implement risk minimisation||✔||✔||✔|
|High levels of personal commitment and drive/innovation||✔||✔||✔|
|Ability to think laterally, strategically and ‘outside the box’||✔||✔||✔|