Head of the Council’s paid service and principal policy advisor to the Council. Leading and directing the workforce (>400 employees and a net budget of £12m) to achieve the council’s priorities. Line management responsibility for other members of the Corporate Leadership Team: three Corporate Directors and the Solicitor to the Council. Representing the council as appropriate at national, regional and local level. Returning officer for local and national elections and referenda.
- MA(Oxon), 1990
- BA(Hons) in Classics, University of Oxford (St Anne's College)
- Member of Society of Local Authority Chief Executives
- Fellow of the Royal Society for the encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce (FRSA)
Ian joined Wyre Forest District Council in December 2009. After 13 years in the civil service working on a number of areas of policy and legislation, he moved to local government in 2000 as head of finance, Welsh Local Government Association and then from 2002 as chief executive of Denbighshire County Council. From 2002 to 2008, Ian was also clerk to North Wales Fire Authority.
- Member of the Partnership Board of PSP Wyre Forest LLP, OC416505
- Greater Birmingham and Solihull Local Enterprise Partnership: Member, Executive Officers’ Group; Member, Programme Delivery Board
- Member, District Councils’ Network National Chief Executives' Group
- Honorary Secretary, ALACE
£111,375 (April 2018). This includes duties as returning officer for district council elections.
Reimbursement of business mileage at 40p per mile; discounted membership of Places for People, available to all council staff; variable payments for acting as returning officer in respect of elections other than district council elections.