What is in the Constitution?
- The rules setting out how this council operates.
- The rules of the Cabinet and other committees.
- The policy framework of the Council.
What is its purpose?
- To enable the Council to provide clear leadership to the community in partnership with citizens, businesses and other organisations.
- To support the active involvement of citizens in the process of local authority decision-making.
- To help councillors represent their constituents more effectively.
- To enable decisions to be taken efficiently and effectively.
- To create a powerful and effective means of holding decision-makers to public account.
- To ensure that no one will review or scrutinise a decision in which they were directly involved.
- To ensure that those responsible for decision-making are clearly identifiable to local people and that they explain the reasons for decisions and provide a means of improving the delivery of services to the community.
Sections 4, 7, 8 & 12 have been temporarily amended by decision of an extraordinary council meeting held on 21 April 2020 and will continue in force until the original sections, as existing immediately prior to 21 April, are restored.
Articles of the Constitution
NB Section 6 has been deleted from the constitution
- 01 The Constitution
- 02 Articles Of The Constitution
- 03 Responsibility For Functions Cabinet Members V7
- 04 Responsibility for functions v9
- 05 Terms of Reference
- 07 Council Procedure Rules
- 08 Access To Information Rules
- 09 Budget Policy Framework Procedure Rules
- 10 Procedure Rules for Scrutiny Committees
- 11 Financial Regulations
- 12 Contract Procedure Rules
- 13 Employment Procedure Rules
- 14 Members Code of Conduct adopted February 2020
- 15 Employee Code of Conduct
- 16 Member Officer Protocol
- 17 Members Allowance Scheme
- 18 Management Structure
- 19 Statutory Appointments Designations
- 20 Code Of Practice Local Authority Publicity
- 21 Petitions scheme v21