Housing Options

Homelessness and Housing Advice

If you require housing advice, are homeless or are threatened with homelessness then the Housing Options Service is here to help. Advice should be sought at the earliest opportunity to prevent homelessness.

View Housing options flyer

Each council in Worcestershire offers a housing options service which provides specialist housing advice. The service is accessible to anyone requiring housing advice, experiencing homelessness or threatened with homelessness, including private rented tenants, housing association tenants, first time buyers, council tenants and owner occupiers.

The range of housing options available will depend upon the situation. The housing options service will be able to provide individually tailored advice.

Please note, as per the Impact of Homelessness Programmes and Homelessness Reduction Act 2017,  the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government are collecting data on all people asking for help with homelessness. Find out more about how your information is used

Duty to refer

Public Authority referral form - Download and complete this document to refer a household in compliance with the duty to refer legislation under the Homelessness Reduction Act 2017. 
Once completed, attach the form to an email and send it to: dutytorefer@wyreforestdc.gov.uk

Allocations and Housing Pathways

From the 3rd April 2018 we will have new duties under the Homelessness Reduction Act 2017 which include providing specific advice to certain categories of homeless people including care leavers, prison leavers and those with a mental illness or impairment. To help these groups we have developed specific Housing Pathways.

We have also amended our Allocations Policy and so applicants who are homeless or threatened with homelessness, that are dealt with under the new duties, will be placed into the Gold Plus or Silver Plus band depending on their local connection, although Reduced Preference may also be applied as appropriate. This will be until the Prevention and/or Relief Duty is ended or a homeless decision has been made, when the banding will be reassessed.  

View Allocations Policy and Housing Pathways

Domestic Abuse

In 2018 Wyre Forest District Council signed up to the Chartered Institute of Housing, Womens Aid and Domestic Abuse Housing Alliance “Make A Stand” pledge.

Our Domestic Abuse policy is available to view here. The council's Domestic Abuse Champion is the Cabinet Member of Housing, Health and Wellbeing.

More information on services can be found in the pathways section above.

Our Housing Advice team offer a full interview and advice service. For general enquiries please call them on 01562 732928 and for emergency out of hours help please call 01562 850053.

Getting on the housing waiting list (register for Homechoice Plus)

No Second Night Out

If you are concerned about someone sleeping rough, please get in touch so that we can connect them to local services.  You can report online via Street Link or by calling 0300 500 0914.

Find out more about No Second Night Out

Housing Options

The Housing Options Team will support you in considering a variety of housing options and try to prevent you from becoming homeless. 

There are many different options available to you, depending on your circumstances. The Housing Options Assessment tool will provide you with any suitable alternatives to Social Housing. It enables you to record details of your circumstances and the tool will then suggest any appropriate housing options for you, the steps you need to take and you can print off any action plans or relevant leaflets. You can complete this tool online yourself or complete it with a Housing Advice Officer at the Hub.

You can also find further information on private renting (including the rent bond deposit scheme), low cost home ownership and the housing waiting list alongside information for ex-service personnel on the Explaining your Housing Options page

Lots of other independent support and advice is also available. 

  • Money Advice Service - An independent service, set up by government to help people make the most of their money, giving free, unbiased money advice to everyone across the UK – online, over the phone and face to face. View the Money Advice Service website.
  • Citizens Advice Bureau - The Citizens Advice Bureau website offers up-to-date information on a wide range of topics and advice on issues including those which affect housing.
  • Shelter - The housing and homelessness charity offers advice on a number of subjects including homelessness, finding a place to live, repossession, eviction and money & arrears. View the Shelter website
  • View the Worcestershire forum against domestic abuse and sexual violence leaflet for sources of support for recovery; education/prevention schemes and health and wellbeing. 
  • Government produced leaflets from the 'How to Guides series' including- How to rent; How to lease  and How to rent a safe home all published by the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government.