Council Tax Reduction Scheme - working age claimants

Straight to...

What it is and how it is worked out

The details

Evidence needed to support applications

About Council Tax Reduction Scheme for working age claimants

The Council Tax Reduction Scheme (CTRS) replaced Council Tax Benefit. It is available to help those who are on a low income, either employed or self employed, in receipt of benefits such as Income Support; Jobseekers Allowance; Employment Support Allowance or Universal Credit and need assistance with paying their council tax.

CTRS is an income banded discount and is worked out differently for people who are of working age and pensioners.

The maximum amount of help you will get is 80% of your bill. It doesn’t matter if you own your home or rent it. 

CTRS can be awarded on top of any discounts or exemptions, for example a single person discount and the scheme looks at the net weekly income. 

Singles Couples Family
2 (or more) children
Discount level (weekly net income level)
Band 1 80% £0 - £89.99 £0 - £124.99 £0 - £199.99 £0 - £269.99
Band 2  60% £90 - £119.99 £125 - £154.99 £200 - £249.99 £270 - £304.99
Band 3 40% £120 - £149.99 £155 - £184.99 £250 - £274.99 £305 - £334.99
Band 4 20% £150 - £179.99 £185 - £214.99 £275 - £299.99 £335 - £364.99

Additional children (beyond 2) do not affect your claim. 

How CTRS is worked out

We count the money you earn from work after money has been taken out for tax and National Insurance and half of any money you pay into a pension fund. We also count any other money you have coming in. This includes most state benefits, works pensions and income from savings or capital you may have.

We do not count:

  • disability benefits
  • war  pensions
  • War Disablement Pension
  • Child Benefit
  • child maintentance

We need to know if you get any of these, as you may get more CTRS.

You cannot get Council Tax Reduction Scheme if you, or you and your partner between you, have more than £6,000 in savings. A partner is someone you are married to, or someone you live with as if you are married to them.


This information is for guidance only. It does not cover all the rules for all the benefits for every situation, nor does it provide a full interpretation of the rules. It should not be treated as a complete and authoritative statement of the law.

Please ensure you have checked documents you will need as proof before you begin.


If you can't complete the form online, you can complete the form with an advisor at the Customer Service Centre.


Certificate of Earned Income


Contact us

Council Tax and NNDR Contact

Select one

01562 732928 (Mon - Fri 9am-5pm)

Visit us