Preparing Your Family for Emergencies
As a family you can prepare for the unexpected. Developing a family emergency plan, and creating a ‘grab bag’ of the essential items you may need if you were to leave your home can help you and save valuable time.
Download a template of a Household Emergency Plan
This could include things as simple as:
- If you are experiencing a power cut and you have not received prior notice, find information about power cuts in your area on the Western Power website
- Recording key contact details of insurers, GP, utility suppliers
- Actions each member will take to secure the property
- Where and how to turn off the utilities to the house.
- Escape routes the family can use and where to meet if split up
Grab Bag items could include:
- A copy of your Family Emergency Plan.
- Details of regular prescription items for your family.
- Useful telephone numbers e.g. friends, family, insurance, doctors, utilities, etc.
- Mobile phone and charger.
- Important documents e.g. passport, birth certificates, insurance, etc. Consider keeping these in water proof material.
- First aid kit.
- Bottles of water.
- Wind up or battery powered radio and spare batteries.
- Wind up or battery powered torch and spare batteries.
- Notebook and pen.
- Essential keys e.g. house, car, etc.
- Special items e.g. glasses / contact lenses and solutions, items for babies / children / elderly / disabled.
- Cash, debit / credit cards.
- Non perishable food (cereal bars etc).
- Supplies for very young children or pets.
- Any other items you feel you may require.