Voluntary and community sector provisions: Christmas update
We have collated information on local organisations offering support and advice to families and individuals over the festive period.
Please notte that although we have collated the information we are not responsible for content on external sights and cannot guarantee the information has not altered since publication on the website.
Our welfare team will be on hand to offer support fro anyone requiring help with food, utilities, rent arrears, council tax advice and general welfare needs. If they are unable to provide direct support they will signpost you to others partners offering support.
Closed: Thursday 24 December to Monday 28 December 2020
Open: Tuesday 29 December and Wednesday 30 December 2020 (phone services only from 10am until 4pm
Closed: Thursday 31 December 2020 and Friday 1 January 2021
From Monday 4 January 2021 the Hub will revert back normal opening times, more information can be found on our customer services page.
Ready Steady Worcestershire
Ready Steady Worcestershire provides information about food, activities and support available to families and children from nursery and primary aged, through to older children and teenagers during the school holidays.
Find food and activity offerings in your local area via the interactive map Worcestershire County Council's website.
Here 2 Help
Here2Help is a community action response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), as there continues to be vulnerable people in our community who have to self-isolate. Worcestershire County County's website provides a central location for the vulnerable who are unable to seek help from family, friends and neighbours. You can also request help and find useful resources.
Citizens Advice Wyre Forest
Open: Wednesday 23 December 2020, 9am until 1pm
Closed: Thursday 24 December 2020 until Friday 1 January 2021
Reopen as normal from Monday 4 January 2021.
Citizens Advice National telephone service is available until 5pm on Wednesday 23 December 2020 and also from Monday 28 December until Thursday 31 December 2020.
Advice line freephone: 0808 278 7891
Free text callback: 07434 613625
Franche food bank
- Pastoral and Meeting support available to alleviate mental health and build extended community.
- Christmas hampers (available to current clients only, approxiamately 150)
- Regular food bank boxes
Homestart Wyre Forest is open for referrals of new Wyre Forest families with children 0 - 18 years who are in need of emotional support and befriending, with the additional offer of one to one psychological therapy for adults or children experiencing mental health difficulties. Their support is currently delivered remotely but will return to face to face visits as soon as possible.
Over Christmas their volunteers will continue delivering support, although the office base will be closed from 12 noon 23 December until 8.30am 4 January 2021.
The 100 families they are currently supporting will benefit from the following additional support this December:
- Every family will receive a Christmas Hamper and tin of sweets through our partnership with Midcounties Cooperative
- 50 families have access to our help for food and essentials through our Wyre Forest District Council grant
- 40 families will receive a fresh food hamper by 21 December through Elim Church and Simply Limitless offers
- Every family will receive a large bag of presents (more than one for each child) through our partnership Gift Appeal with The Kidderminster Shuttle
- Families will be referred to the foodbanks if needed for additional support
Please note families referred in December 2020 will not be accessed until January 2021 due to caseload capacity. Therefore, unfortunately these families will not be able to access the Christmas benefits, but we will are committed to obtaining similar grants to help our families in 2021.
Kidderminster and District Youth Trust (KDYT)
During the Christmas/New Year period we will be operating our Youth Enquiry Service (YES). In summary, whilst not an emergency service, KDYT are available for young people who need them, their existing young people know this. New young people can contact KDYT will respond within 24 hours. They can signpost you to services or discuss issues that are important to you. KDYT can do video calls and chats and if needed, they can also meet with young people face to face. All work carried out will be with two youth workers, who have been enhanced DBS checked.
Phone: 01562 228113 or 07482 207476
Kidderminster Food Bank
Kidderminster Foodbank, at the rear of Baxter church, The Bull Ring, Kidderminster DY10 2AA.
- Monday 21 December 2020, 12.30pm - 3pm
- Wednesday 23 December 2020, 12.30pm - 3pm
- Wednesday 30 December 2020, 12.30pm - 3pm
- Monday 4 January 2021, 12.30pm - 3pm
- Wednesday 6 January 2021, 12.30pm - 3pm
Simply Limitless are able to provide food over the whole period including Christmas Day and Boxing Day.This includes:
- meals at £3 each and Christmas Day food at £5.50 (his food can be microwaved or put in the oven).
- People on the PLUS project, will continue to supported by phone over the Christmas period. Any one appreciating a call could be referred to us.
- Currently taking orders for meals to be delivered for Christmas Day and Boxing Day (e.g.; a Wiltshire Farm Food frozen turkey dinner), meaning people would have a brief face to face visit too.
- They have activity packs for children and a small pot of money for buying a gift for a child, if needed.
Phone: 01562 751144
St. Michael's Church, Stourport-on-Severn
St Michaels Church, Stourport will deliver a food parcel which will contain some homemade soup, a turkey sandwich, cake and festive treats with a cracker!
Deliveries will be made between 11am and 1pm on Christmas Day and are completely free of charge. Provision will also be made for anyone who would like to collect food from the church if that would be more suitable.
To book a delivery call Liz 07807 070508 or Chris 07749 999881
Starting Well Barnardo’s Wyre Forest Parenting & Community Team
Starting Well Barnardo’s Wyre Forest Parenting & Community Team are providing 50 families across the Wyre Forest District with “Christmas in a Box”. This includes a tasty, nutritious meal to prepare and cook together. Christmas Chocolates and Biscuit treats. Christmas craft activities for all the family, along with other Christmas surprises.
They will continue to accept referrals through the Starting Well website.
Closed: Wednesday 23 December 2020
Brookside Family Hub Kidderminster: 01562 827207
HCW Family Hub Stourport-on-Severn: 01299 877920
Stourport Baptist Church
Christmas Community Support Projects are as follows:
Foodbank available all over Christmas and new year (referrals welcomed).
Homeless food available all over Christmas and new year (referrals welcomed)
Cooked meals available (especially but not exclusively for families) Monday to Saturday 21 December to January 2 (referrals welcomed)
Toddler group (with activities for older children too) Wednesday 23 December; 3 sessions (advanced booking required), food parcels will also be distributed at this event for anybody in need.
Socially distanced walking nativity followed by community Christmas carols in the church garden Sunday 20 December 3pm and again at 6pm, food parcels will be available for those in need.
Phone: 01299 489319 or 07966 443062
Worth Unlimited Kidderminster
- Mental health and wellbeing care packages are available throughout the Christmas period upon request, as well as support for parents and young people who are caring for/facing the challenges of a mental illness. Please do contact Marie via the phone or email if this support is needed.
- Support through our ‘Worth Unlimited Kidderminster’ page, emails and telephone will continue to happen where needed in the local community.
- Family meal in a box available with a recipe to make a healthy family meal throughout the first week in January, this is available for Comberton and Offmore, as well as surrounding areas.
- Friday 19 December - Christmas light trail on the Comberton and Offmore estates – You can download a map for the trail online, Christmassy treats available on route and a chat with Santa (at a distance)
- Sunday 21 December: 100 children across Comberton and Offmore will receive a hand delivered letter and gift from Santa and his chief Elf (booking is now closed).
Phone: 07805 106925