Test and Trace Support Scheme

The Government has announced a new financial package to support and enforce self-isolation.

In some circumstances, if you are required by law to self-isolate from Monday 28 September you may be supported by a payment of £500, payable from Wyre Forest District Council.

Check if you are eligible

To be eligible for the £500 one-off payment you need to be: 

  • asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace either because they’ve tested positive for coronavirus or have recently been in close contact with someone who has tested positive
  • issued with a unique 8 digit ID number from NHS Test and Trace Service
  • able to fully comply with the legal requirement to self-isolate
  • a resident of Wyre Forest
  • employed or self-employed
  • unable to work from home and will lose income as a result and
  • currently receiving Universal Credit, Working Tax Credit, income-based Employment and Support Allowance, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit and/or Pension Credit.

Please note our Council Tax reduction scheme is not included in the list of qualifying benefits.

If you are not receiving one of the above benefits but meet all the other criteria, are on a low income and self-isolation would cause exceptional financial hardship, you may be entitled to help under a discretionary scheme.  

You must meet the following additional criteria to be eligible for the discretionary scheme:

  • be resident in Wyre Forest – full time students are not eligible for this scheme
  • savings/capital must be less than £3,000.  For the sake of clarity, housing benefit rules will be followed when determining capital.
  • Your gross weekly earnings are not more than £300 per week.
  • You must work a minimum of 16 hours a week.
  • In all cases, you must show that you will experience exceptional financial hardship as a result of having to self-isolate.

For full details please see our discretionary payments scheme policy

Other support

If you are struggling financially, please contact us for help.  We have a range of ways we may be able to help

Here2Help is a countywide community action response to those who are struggling due to the pandemic.

The NHS Volunteers scheme can provide help with various day to day activities that might be more difficult during the pandemic.

Before you start

You will need the following information to complete this form:

  • a notification from NHS Test and Trace asking you to self-isolate (this will include a unique 8 digit ID number)
  • your National Insurance number
  • a copy of your latest bank statement which includes your name and bank details
  • proof of employment e.g. payslip, letter from your employer etc.
  • name and contact details of your employer
  • if you are self-employed, evidence of self-assessment returns and trading income eg. recent business bank statement (within the last two months), most recent set of accounts or evidence of self-assessment tax returns
  • if you are applying for our discretionary scheme you will need to provide evidence to show how self-isolation will cause exceptional financial hardship

How can I apply?

Apply for the Test and Trace Support Payment here .  Someone else can help you fill in the form or do it for you but only the person who has been asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace can receive the payment.  If you need help filling in the form please email testandtracesupportpayment@wyreforestdc.gov.uk or phone 01562 732928 (9am – 5pm).  You will still need to upload your evidence with the application form or send it by email.

Please ensure you press the submit button when you have completed the form to send it to us. 

If you are unable to upload your evidence on the application form, you must email it to us testandtracesupportpayment@wyreforestdc.gov.uk

Information about the scheme

Who is not eligible

You will not be eligible for the scheme if:

  • you are quarantining after travelling abroad (unless you test positive during the 14-day quarantine period)
  • you continue to receive full wages while you self-isolate
  • you can work from home during a period of self-isolation
  • your self isolation period started before 28 September 2020
  • you have not received official notification from NHS Test and Trace telling you to self-isolate
  • you are receiving full sick pay
  • you have not experienced a loss of income
  • you are furloughed during the self-isolation period
  • your self-isolation period ended more than 14 days ago

How much is the payment?

You may be supported by a lump sum payment of £500

Will this payment be taxed?

This payment will be subject to income tax. It will not be subject to National Insurance contributions.

What if I’m overdrawn?

If your bank account is overdrawn you are able to exercise your 'first right of appropriation'. This means you have the right to tell the bank how you want the £500 payment to be used so that they don't automatically use it to clear your overdraft.  The law provides that a customer needs a minimum amount of money to live on. You must contact your bank before the payment is made.

See Citizens Advice Bureau for further help to claim back any charges.

How long will this be in place for?

The scheme will run until 31 January 2021.

When did this come into force?

These changes came into effect on Monday 28 September 2020, alongside the legal duty to self-isolate.  Our application form was available from 12th October; individuals who are eligible prior to that date will be able to make a backdated claim.

What happens after I’ve applied?

We will contact you within 3 working days of your application to let you know if you are eligible or not.  Payments will be made within 3 working days of successfully verified applications.

Data protection and privacy notice

Read the self-isolation payment privacy notice.