Skip to content

Brexit advice

The UK has left the EU

New rules took effect on 1 January 2021.

The EU Settlement Scheme allows your employees and their close family members to continue to live and work in the UK after Brexit.

Using the scheme will mean that they are eligible for public services, such as healthcare and schools, public funds and pensions and British citizenship, if they want to apply and meet the requirements.

The government's employer toolkit contains a range of ready to use leaflets and posters to help explain the scheme to your employees.

Information on preparing your business or organisation for 1 January 2021 from North Worcestershire Economic Development and Regeneration.


If you are a European Union citizen, you and your family will be able to apply to get either settled or pre-settled status. This will mean you can continue living in the UK after December 2020.

The EU Settlement Scheme allows you and your family members to get the immigration status that you will need to continue to live, work and study in the UK. This status means that you continue to be eligible for:

  • public services, such as healthcare and schools
  • public funds and pensions
  • British citizenship, if you want to apply and meet the requirements

Who is eligible to apply?

You need to apply if you are an EU citizen or a non-EU family member of an EU citizen (including children), this includes those with a UK permanent residence document. You do not need to apply if you have indefinite leave to remain or enter but you can if you want to. Visit GOV.UK to find out more about your rights in relation to the EU Settlement Scheme.

Non-Irish, non-British family members of Irish citizens needed to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme if they want to remain in the UK after 31 December 2020.

You needed to be a resident in the UK by 31 December 2020. If you have been a resident in the UK for five continuous years or more you will be eligible for settled status. If you have been a resident for less than five continuous years you will be eligible for pre-settled status.

When can I apply?

The EU Settlement Scheme is open and you have until 30 June 2021 (or 31 December 2020, in the event of a no deal). Application guidance can be found on GOV.UK. Once you have read the guidance you can start your application.

The National Council for Voluntary Organisations (NCVO) website has Brexit guidance and resources for voluntary and community organisations.

We will only contact you regarding this feedback.
Back to top