WFDC logo

Wyre Forest residents should have received a letter from their Electoral Registration Officer last week informing them of the change to the electoral registration system – a move from the old ‘head of household’ registration system to Individual Electoral Registration.

Wyre Forest District Council reports that 5,943 local residents were not automatically transferred to the new electoral register. Anyone who received a letter telling them they were not transferred can visit the online registration webpage to register to vote online.

Ian Miller, Wyre Forest District Council’s Electoral Registration Officer, said:

“92.5% of residents on the electoral register have received a letter from the elections team to tell them that they have automatically moved onto the new registration system. However, the remaining 7.5% of residents were told that they needed to provide extra information in order to re-register under the new system. It’s important that they now do this, which can be done online.”

He continued:

“This is the first time that people can register to vote online and it’s quick and simple. This should appeal to many residents including young people or students. If you’ve just turned 18 or you’ve not registered before, get online to register to vote.”

In the letter residents are reminded that there are two registers.  The electoral register, which lists the names and address of everyone who is registered to vote in public elections, and the open register, which is an extract of electoral register but is not used for public elections. It can be bought by any person, company or organisation.  The letter tells residents if they are on the open register or not.  Anyone wishing to remove their name from the open register can email the elections team stating their name, address and elector number.  They can also write to the Elections Team at Wyre Forest House, Finepoint Way,  Kidderminster, Worcestershire, DY11 7WF or speak to a Customer Services Advisor on 01562 732928.

The Electoral Commission, the UK’s election watchdog, has called for the introduction of Individual Electoral Registration since 2003 as it will lead to a more secure electoral register.

Anyone who did not receive a letter should contact Wyre Forest District Council’s elections team on 01562 732928 or email.




Wyre Forest District Council