If you are excluded from receiving a 25% single person discount on your Council Tax bill due to non-dependants living in your household, you can apply for Second Adult Rebate.
If you are a pensioner, you may be entitled to claim Second Adult Rebate if you have non-dependants living with you who are on low income. Second Adult Rebate is no longer available to working age people except in the case where the dwelling is occupied by a full time student and there is one or more second adults who are in receipt of income support, state pension credit, an income-related employment support allowance or income based jobseekers allowance.
To qualify for a Second Adult Rebate the second adult(s) i.e. non-dependants must be:
- aged 18 or over
- not liable to pay rent to you and
- not jointly liable to pay Council Tax
To claim Second Adult Rebate you must:
Apply for a Second Adult Rebate
- Obtain an application form from us. Customer Services.
- Provide proof of your non-dependant's income
- Provide your national insurance number, proof of it and two forms of identification for yourself.
- Return the completed form to us.
In some circumstances a person may be entitled to both Council Tax Reduction Scheme and Second Adult Rebate. In these cases, we will award the higher of the two discounts.